It was just recently that I started seeing BOPUS here, BOPUS there, reports talking about how the Gen Z prefers BOPUS to any other option… and I was wondering what is thaaaat? So, just in case you are as lost as me, this is what BOPUS means and why people are talking about it.
WHAT IS BOPUS?
BOPUS means “Buy Online, Pick Up in Store”. So basically, you see what you like online but don’t wait for the delivery to reach the comfort of your home. You go to the closest store or pickup point and pick it up yourself. For some reason, reportedly speed being the top one, Gen Z´s are liking this option more and so more stores and retailers are starting to consider to provide it.
As if long were the days when people feared buying online and they wanted to go check physically the products before buying. Some people would go to the shop, make sure they were happy with the quality, size, and fitting to later order online as there were more online offers that in store- especially outside sale periods. Maybe for that, we should coin another acronym too. Or maybe it already exists!
In any case, this is part of the “click and collect” movement that is here to stay as part of the omnichannel all retailers want to master.
WHY DO BOPUS?
I asked around and the reasons I was given were:
- So we save shipping costs!
- I find it is easier to browse the products online.
- It is easier to see their size and availability.
- There is less waiting time.
- You feel like still shopping the good old way but without the hassle.
- I only use it if the products will sell fast.
- I prefer it so that the products don’t get damaged during transportation.
- If I don’t like it, I can return it right there.
This last one actually brings another acronym to the picture … BORIS “Bought online, returned in store”. Which happens to be more convenient for shops and for customers.
And you? I am curious… Do you BOPUS or not?
LIKED THIS ARTICLE?
Then for sure, you will also like these ones too.